CALEDONIA / SCOTSTOUN 1925
The CALEDONIA was a 17,046 gross ton ship, built by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow for the Anchor Line. Her details were - length 553ft x beam 70.4ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. Accommodation provided for 205-1st, 403-2nd and 796-3rd class passengers. Her keel was laid in Feb 1920 but she wasn't launched until 22/4/1925 and started her maiden voyage from Glasgow to Moville and New York on 3/10/1925. In Oct 1930 she was refitted to carry 1st, tourist and 3rd class, and in March 1936 altered to carry cabin, tourist and 3rd class. She was reconditioned in 1938 with remodelled 3rd class accommodation, new propellers and a speed of 17 knots. In June 1939 she commenced her last N.Atlantic voyage from Glasgow to Moville, Boston, New York, Boston, Moville and Glasgow and in September 1939 was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser and renamed SCOTSTOUN. On 13/6/1940 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-25, 80 miles west of Barra Island, Hebrides with the loss of 6 lives.