HMS New Zealandia
Sold for Scrap 1921
Built Portsmouth Dockyard, laid down February 1903, completed July 1905, cost £1,424,643.
Originally named HMS New Zealand, she was renamed HMS New Zealandia on 1 December 1911.
1 December 1911 renamed Zealandia to release name for the battlecruiser New Zealand.
3rd Battle Squadron Grant Fleet .
Squadron used in support of cruisers on Northern Patrol.
10 September 1914 Rammed a German submarine in the North Sea.
December 1915-January 1916 Eastern Mediterranean.
February-March 1916 refitted at Portsmouth.
26 March 1616 rejoined Grand Fleet
29 April 1916 moved to Sheerness under Nore Command.
December 1916-June 1917 refit at Chatham.
January-September 1918 refitted at Portsmouth as gunnery training ship and used for trials.
September 1918 paid off.
1921 sold for scrap.
Not postally used
Postcard series: Tuck's, Oilette - Our Ironclads
Series number: V
Postcard number: 9183
Postcard artist: W Fred Mitchell
Return to Postcard Collection
Return to Lindy's Pages