World War 1 Service:
5th Battle Squadron Channel Fleet as flagship.
February 1915 transferred to Dardanelles.
19 February 1915 onwards involved in various attacks on forts and support of landings. Hit by artillery on several occasions but no serious damage.
6 May brief engagement with battlecruiser Yavuz Sultan Selim (ex Goeben).
May-June 1915 refit at Malta.
2 December 1915 took part in destruction of Kavak Bridge.
January 1916 Eastern Mediterranean Squadron.
October 1918 refit at Malta.
November 1918 part of Allied squadron through the Dardanelles to Constantinople.
Sold for scrap 1920.
Authorised in the naval Budget of 1904, The Lord nelson Class was considered at the time to be a alternative to the Dreadnaught while being built. Launched on the 4th of September 1906 and commissioned into the Royal Navy in October 1908. (Its completion was delayed due to its 12 inch guns being transferred to HMS dreadnaught). HMS Lord Nelson was the last Battleship to be powered by reciprocating steam Engines. HMS Lord Nelson served in the Channel during the opening days of the world war one and then was transferred to the Mediterranean along with the Agamemnon and took part in the bombardment of the Turkish positions during the Dardanelle's campaign. The Lord Nelson was scrapped in 1920.
Length 435 feet waterline 443 feet 6 inches overall, beam 79 feet 6 inches, draught 30 feet, displacement 15,358 load 17,820 tons deep.
2 shaft Triple Expansion, 16,750 ihp, 18kts
Lord Nelson 17,526 ihp = 18.73 knots
12-8in belt, 12in barbettes, 12in gun houses, 4-1in decks
4 x 12in 45 cal BL (2 x 2), 10 x 9.2 in BL (4 x 2, 2 x 1), 24 x 12pounder QF (24 x 1), 2 x 3pounder (2 x 1), 5 x 18in TT