HMS Barrosa was named after the Battle of Barrosa, which took place in 1811 between British-Allied forces and France, and which ended in a French defeat. Barrosa was built John Brown & Company Limited. She was launched on the on 17 January 1945 and commissioned on the on 14 February 1947.
In 1948, Barrosa joined the 4th Destroyer Flotilla of the Home Fleet. In 1950, Barrosa with one of her sister-ships and the carrier HMS Vengeance, where the small group performed a number of naval exercises and visits to a variety of ports. Barrosa was placed in Reserve that same year.
In 1953, Barrosa took part in the Coronation Fleet Review at Spithead in honour of the newly crowned Queen Elizabeth II. Barrosa was positioned in the midle of her sister-ships Aisne and Agincourt. That same year, Barrosa joined the 4th Destroyer Squadron, having spells with the Home and Mediterranean Fleets.
In 1959, Barrosa unfortunately collided with her sister-ship Corunna in the Atlantic. Later that year, Barrosa underwent modification to become a Radar Picket, which the addition of the SeaCat missile, as-well as new AA weaponry and new radar. In 1962, Barrosa joined the 8th Destroyer Squadron, based in the Far East, before joining the 24th Escort Squadron. In 1968, Barrosa was decommissioned, being broken-up at Blyth in Northumberland in 1978.